Blue Squares background
Nickerson Insurance Services Logo
MAY
05
2019

FAQs About Medical Insurance

Understand More About Medical Insurance

Medical insurance is something you have to have, like car insurance. You pay for it on a regular basis and while you might not enjoy doing so, when you need the insurance, you will be relieved to have it. The more you look into medical insurance, the more options you notice, which brings up more questions. Here are some of the frequently asked questions to help you figure out more about medical insurance. If you are looking for a new policy, or want to make changes to your old policy, it’s important to understand as much as you can.

What Are Deductibles, Coinsurance, And Copays?

Deductibles are the amount you pay yourself for your medical care before the insurance kicks in and starts to pay. If you have a deductible of $1,000, you will pay all of the health care expenses until the bill exceeds $1,000. After that, you will share the costs with your insurance company at the agreed upon rate. Coinsurance is your share of health services after you have met the deductible amount. Your plan might pay 80% of the costs while you have to pay the other 20%. And copay is a fixed amount you would pay for a certain health care service. The amount you pay depends on your plan and the type of service you have. Regular doctor visits, for example, might have a copay of $20. The rest of the charges would be covered by insurance.

Do Deductibles Impact Premiums?

Generally, yes. A variety of things have an impact on the premium, which is the amount you pay each month to maintain your medical insurance. Some of the things that affect it are the amount of people on the plan, the network size, and the type of plan. But the deductible also impacts what you pay. If you have a high deductible, you may pay lower premiums. The lower the deductible, the higher the premiums. It’s nice to have low premiums, but if you have a deductible you can’t afford, it might not work in your favor.

What Are HMO And PPO Plans?

If you’re in the market for medical insurance, knowing the different plan types can help you choose what’s right for you. HMO stands for health management organization while PPO stands for preferred provider organization. The plans both use a network of physicians and other health care providers to give you good care. The difference is how you interact with the networks. With an HMO, you choose a primary care physician and your services go through that doctor. You need referrals to see other doctors, unless there is an emergency. PPO plans give you more flexibility to go to other providers inside or outside of your network.

Getting The Medical Insurance You Need

There are probably a lot of other questions you will need to ask to find the right plan to suit your specific needs. Contact Nickerson Insurance Services, Inc to get fitted with just the right coverage at a competitive price.

About the Author

Leave a Reply

*